1/22/2009

thursday - amazing shop feature

hi everyone....so, this week begins my weekly (or thereabouts) feature of wonderful indie sellers, crafters, artists, and all around creatively genius people. for my very first one, i'd like to tell you about sugarelli, whose shop is on etsy! i first found this graphic artist when i was looking for someone to make an ad for me. i was soooo happy with the outcome that i then bought one of her custom birthday invitations the very same day. again, i was nothing but thrilled with the outcome. and, i should add that she worked patiently with me on numerous revisions on both of these projects and was wonderful about it. want to know more about sugarelli? read on...here are her answers to my feature questions:
  • How long have you been at your trade?
Since the year 2000, so approximately eight and a half years.
  • How did you become interested in doing what you do? Did someone teach you or are you self-taught?
I have been interested in art and design ever since I was a young child. I was always in the art club, taking summer art courses, and attended several art workshops growing up. In high school I took every art course that was available, including a course in Graphic Design. I graduated high school in the year 2000 and enrolled in art school that fall to study Graphic Design. After completing my schooling for Graphic Design a couple of years later, I decided that I wasn't interested in the printing press, layouts, and all of those branches of Graphic Design. I really wanted to do what *I* wanted to do, so I started doing freelance design, which is where I am today!
  • Where do you find your inspiration?
I definitely find my inspration from my two kids. Before having them, I was designing mostly CD covers and random little jobs that I enjoyed, but didn't love. After the birth of my son in 2005, I decided to try my hand in designing birth announcements. Soon after, I added party invitations into the mix. Now I have truly found my passion. I love the fun colors and baby related designs. I love hearing my two kids squeal with excitement over my latest illustration. They're both fans of the owls, which is why more items keep popping up with the owls on them.
  • Pick one song that speaks to you as an artist and please tell us why.
I would have to say "Moses" by Coldplay. That song has such a special meaning to my son and me. It was the song I sang to him while he was in the womb, when I had many severe pregnancy complications. To this day it is his favorite song. That song is so special to us, and he is the one who really helped me find my artistic passion.
  • What is your favorite item in your shop and why? How does it make you feel? Does it hold a special meaning or remembrance for you?
It's not in my shop at the moment because it sold, but my favorite is definitely my Sweet Baby art print. I created that piece for my daughter as she sat on my lap. It shows a mother owl snuggling with a baby owl, just as my daughter and I were doing. I added the words in the background to describe my daughter and all of the things I was thinking right then. The words in the foreground that read "I love you, sweet baby" were written for her right at that moment. I decided to share this one by making prints, because I thought it would be a nice way for other mothers to show their overwhelming love for their children. Hopefully it is one that the child can treasure all of his or her life.
  • What is the one thing about you and/or your art/creations that you would want someone who is about to visit your shop to know?
I would just want them to know that I love what I do every single day. I put my passion into each and every single design I do, no matter how small. I don't do it just to make a quick buck, and I don't do it just to do it. I do it because I really, really love it. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * besides her wonderful custom graphics, invitations, and announcements, sugarelli has a few other gems in her shop. two of my favorites are her "rainbow chirps nursery art print" and her "pink and cream vintage style toile wishing star" ... see and click below. you won't be disappointed!

No comments: